Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Adventure at the Dentist

So, this month continues to be Dentist Month, and little Peep has been busy taking care of me with kind words, soothing hugs and soft snuggles.

About three weeks ago, I went to the dentist to get a temporary crown. Peep asked me what kind of a crown it was - would I be a princess? Or a queen? Or Miss America?

You could be a princess!

None of those, I replied sadly. Then I explained how I did not take care of my teeth as well as I should have when I was younger, and one of my teeth now needed some serious help. There had been a big cavity a long time ago, and a dentist fixed that with a filling. But then sometime afterwards, the tooth cracked! Peep thought this sounded really bad and gave me lots of hugs, but I explained that it wasn't really that awful as long as the crack didn't crack more. And it didn't hurt. But, I went on, the dentist was going to take some of my tooth away and replace it with what she called a crown.

Peep didn't like this idea that some of my tooth would be taken away. He thought it would hurt! So I explained all about how the dentist makes sure you don't feel anything at all and you get a shiny new toothbrush afterwards and he was relieved! Peep is so kind!

That day three weeks ago, I got a temporary crown, which is made of plastic. The dentist had to make a mold of my teeth before and after she took some of the tooth away in order to make a permanent crown that would fit perfectly. Then she put that bit of plastic on to protect my tooth until I got my real crown. I had wished I had Peep with me that day!

Peep thought a plastic crown didn't sound very nice, but then I told him about the permanent crown - it was going to be golden! So, I could be a princess once I got that. Peep thought I could be a secret princess, and I agreed. We both liked that idea a lot. After all, the crown would be mostly invisible to everyone else!

The day came and I was very glad to have Peep with me! I was a little bit scared. Because the dentist had to work so carefully, Peep stayed in my bag, but peeped out at me and whispered soothing things.
You'll be a princess, Kate! You'll be okay!
The dentist took off the plastic crown and she and her helper made sure everything was ready to put on the golden crown. Peep wanted to see it! We had to take a break to wait for the medicine the dentist gave me work - it would help me not feel any pain at all.

Peep hopped down out of my bag and clambered up to where my new crown was waiting.
Wow, it's so shiny!

You can see in the picture that my crown is sitting on a mold of my teeth.
Still shiny!

Finally, the medicine was working, and the dentist was able to put the on my new golden crown! Peep hopped back into my bag to watch. 

It was very quick! The dentist and her helper made sure the glue that is used to attach the crown went only on my tooth, and then they stuck the crown on and pressed it down. I had to gently bite on some cotton wadding for a few minutes while the glue set. Peep asked me what "set" means just now - it means that the glue gets stickier and stickier with time until finally it has the crown well and truly stuck down and won't come off. This glue only takes a few minutes to set, so I didn't have to bite on the cotton so long.

Finally, it was on! I couldn't feel that side of my mouth, so I couldn't smile to take a picture of my new crown yet. I would have to wait for the medicine to wear off.

The dentist, her helper, Peep and I cheered! Now I was a princess! Peep reminded us, though, that we should keep our voices down - I was a secret princess. Shhhhh!

Then Peep asked if he could sit on the chair where I got my crown. The dentist said yes!
This is where Red Kate got her crown! Yay!

We both thanked the dentist and her helper a lot! 

There were some pictures of on a sort of light box on the wall, and Peep asked what they were. I explained they were x-rays of my teeth. Peep wasn't sure what that meant, so I explained that they were pictures of what my teeth look like on the inside. The dentist could see how my teeth were doing much more easily than my just looking in my mouth. Here they are:
Teeth have long roots...
The doctor could take a picture of the inside of teeth?? Peep thought this was like having a super power, or like being a spy! I think it is, too.

We looked at the pictures for a while and then it was time to go. Peep was so kind - he thought we should go home to have soup and snuggle under a quilt. We could watch a movie!

I had the perfect one in mind!
But you and Peep will have to stay tuned!








No comments:

Post a Comment